Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Conspiracy Theory Theory

The poll is closed, thank you to everyone who voted! I’m going to send the top two questions off in my letter today, and SPM will answer at least one, maybe both.


I want to take a moment to talk about one of the questions that came from several different people: “Do you believe your conviction may have been the result of a conspiracy?”


Nobody asked me, but I’m going to give you my personal opinion; conspiracy theories hold us back. It’s easier to say ‘Someone’s out to get me’ and just give up, than it is to say ‘the system is broken because we broke it’, and then work to fix it.


People get the government they deserve, and by our inattention we have allowed the justice system to become the kind of monster it is. We stopped caring who it ate, as long as we felt safer at night, and next thing you know it’s eating our children.  Carlos Coy was convicted without proof and taken away from his family because that’s how the justice system works. It did the same thing to those before him, and it continued to do it to those that came after him; that is our fault, and fixing it is our responsibility.


Now, that’s my opinion. I base that on my personal experience, just as those that believe in conspiracies base their belief on their own experiences. I’m smart enough to know that I can’t know everything, so I’m not going to say it’s impossible that the Illuminati, or whatever you want to call them, did this. But even if you believe that Coy’s conviction was orchestrated, consider that the only way to get him a fair trial is going to be by focusing on local government. If you take out the guy at the top of the pyramid, there will be ten more just waiting to take his place. To see results we’re going to have to go against the base, the deeply entrenched petty officials that allow those higher up in government to act without regard for justice or the will of the people.


So don’t excuse yourself; don’t throw up your hands and say “The world is against us, we can’t fight it.” Gird your loins, grab a pen, and write a letter to the DA. If you believe in only one thing, believe in the power of your fellow man.

We can change this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a thoughtful well reasoned post. You go girl!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I know how women can be. I just recently had a 36 year sentence overturned in the court of appeals after 8 years of incarceration for the same thing. It took me 8 years to prove my innocence. I wish SPM the best of luck. I had to learn the law real fast.