Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Kyrie Eleison (Part 2)



So, we talked a bit about Alfred Dewayne Brown’s conviction, and the acrobatic stunts pulled by the Grand Jury to facilitate it; I mentioned that the judge in his case was Mark Kent Ellis, who was also the judge in Carlos Coy’s case.

     I do believe that this is significant; don't forget that his was the courtroom in which LaDondrell Montgomery was convicted of a crime that it would have been physically impossible to commit, Montgomery being a guest of the Harris County jail at the time.


     It should also be pointed out, though, that when confronted with the found evidence, Ellis wrote to the Court of Criminal Appeals and recommended that Brown receive a new trial. It's possible he did this because he believed Brown to be innocent, but more likely because he realized that without that phone call being presented at the trial, the jury did not have all of the information necessary to find the truth. 

     There are a few pieces of information revealed by SPM that I feel are of similar importance, and it encourages me to think that Ellis is capable of revisiting previous convictions; if at some point it becomes possible to prove Coy’s assertion that the height of the bed would have made it physically impossible for him to have committed the crime he was convicted of, maybe Judge Ellis will be an ally and not a hurdle.

     I would also like to point out the tireless work of journalist Lisa Falkenberg, bringing Alfred Brown’s case to light. If you stop by the Chronicle’s website to read these excellent articles, please let her know that you appreciate what she’s doing.





            

2 comments:

Angela NiƱo said...

The bed post has kept me up a few nights. Every time I think of it, I think of the little jump I had to make every time I get on my bed. I knew the key was in those transcripts.

Incandesio said...

Angela,

I think it could be significant, but unless they still had the bed and mattress I'm not sure how to prove it. I guesstimated the height of the bed based on the nightstand, but that wouldn't be enough for a court.