Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Vote


Alright, ladies and gentleman; normally today's post would be another letter to Pat Lykos, but election day is coming up, and early voting has been going on for a while.



I had planned to make a list of which candidates I thought you should vote for, both in the state-wide elections and local to Harris County, but I'm not going to.



I've gotten multiple flyers in the mail, Republicans accusing Democrats of being soft on crime, and Democrats accusing Republicans of doing the same thing. Honestly, I couldn't tell you that either party is more interested in justice, and not many of the candidates are advertising that they'll give fair hearing to a criminal appeal.



Still, I'm going to ask you to please, just vote. Personally, I'm going to vote against all the incumbents. I'm going to vote for Mark Bennett of Defending People, even if I have to run through heavy fire to do so. It's not because I know him, or believe he has any interest in Carlos Coy's case, but because he comes across as a guy that is willing to take unpopular stands for the sake of true justice, which I appreciate. Check out his election blog here: http://www.bennettdissenting.com/



According to Life at the Harris County Criminal Justice Center, which is written by a former prosecutor, Judge Ellis is up for re-election. That's a local election so y'all Houstonians will have to figure out if he's worth keeping.



Mark Anderson is running as the Republican candidate for Harris County District Attorney, and Lloyd Oliver as the Democrat. A lot of people have claimed he's a joke, and apparently not even the Democrat Party wanted him as their candidate, but one major point in his favor, as far as I'm concerned, is that he claims he will continue the reforms that Pat Lykos has instituted.



I wish I had more for you, but to be honest I'm feeling pretty grim and disillusioned with the whole process. Everyone's catering to fear and trying to curry favor with voters that don't give two shits if 'The Other' is wrongfully imprisoned.



Still, I'm going to vote, and I hope you will too.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donald Trump for president!

Anonymous said...

-_-

Anonymous said...

VOTE GARY JOHNSON FOR PRESIDENT WANTS TO LEGALIZE WEED!!

Anonymous said...

"ima Democrat,what the hell is that,take my shit betta mail it back"-SPM