Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Letter to Judge Ellis

I was not sure I would ever write the judge who presided over SPM's case, but I think that time has come. Please feel free to copy this letter or write your own, but please join me in calling for justice.

 

 
The Honorable Judge Mark Kent Ellis   
Harris County Criminal Justice Center   
1201 Franklin, 14th Floor   
Houston, Texas 77002  
 

Sir,

I’m writing today about the case of Carlos Coy, #908426. Although his case took place some 13 years ago, you may recall it. He is a local rapper convicted of Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child.

News reports at the time portrayed the case as cut and dried, nearly a sure thing. Over the years, however, more information about the evidence against him has come to light and raises questions, in my opinion, about his trial and his guilt.

It appears that the testimony against him was shaky, at best. The complainant stated multiple times in court that she wasn’t sure if the assault had occurred, and her mother seemed confused about multiple details. This may not have been such a problem if the original outcry statement had been preserved, but it was not. Neither the child’s taped statement nor her mother’s written one survived that first meeting. The statements were re-done days later.
 
I understand how many letters wend their way through your courtroom, and how unbelievable some of them are; still, I ask that you take a second look at Coy’s case. Your recent action on the Alfred Dewayne Brown case gives me hope that you may be willing to reconsider whether or not Coy received a fair trial.

Thank you for your time,

Me, my address, etc.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for this letter, will sign it and mail it in the following days

Unknown said...

Has Carlos written anything to us?

Incandesio said...

Jose,

Yes, I just received a 10 page letter from him; I'm in the process of typing it up.

Unknown said...

Where's it at? I would like to read it

Incandesio said...

Unknown:

It's the next post: http://www.spmaftermath.com/2015/05/dear-family-22.html