Updated Thursdays

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Comments



You know, I love hearing arguments that oppose mine; I appreciate it when people take the time to come here and articulate why they disagree with me, because it fires me up and makes me really think about why I'm doing this.


Eric took the time to come and leave some questions for us, and you can see the first bit of the discussion in the comments of this post: Retribution 3


Eric said...

I'm not assuming her testimony was strong just because he was convicted, but also because I've read enough of it. She took the stand and testified in open court about how he licked her vagina while he jacked himself off at the same time. Sorry, a nine year old girl doesn't just make that up. When you combine that with all the other circumstantial evidence, it paints a pretty clear picture.


 

First of all, how much of her testimony have you read? If you've read the transcripts then you have me at a disadvantage, because I’m going off what I’ve found online. However, you telling me “I read her testimony and it’s strong” is not enough for me to discount news reports of her testifying, three times, that she couldn’t really remember the assault. Repeating the basic gist of a story you’ve been told is easy, but coming up with details on the spot is hard if you didn’t actually experience it.


I think it's normal for us to want to give these kids a pass on that stuff; "Poor dear, she's been through so much." "It's so stressful, of course she's going to have trouble remembering it all." "How could a child so young possibly know about that unless it happened?" This creates a cloud that a careless interviewer, a biased social worker, or a relentless parent can hide behind.


That's why neutral, untainted interviews are so important, because a child will take an adult's sympathy as encouragement to validate their concern. The courts themselves acknowledge that it happens. The child will figure out what the adult wants to hear, and tell them that. They'll repeat it, embellish it, and in some cases they'll actually come to believe it happened. You can see proof of this happening over and over on the stories I post about, or at the Innocence Project's website.


What you call 'circumstantial evidence' doesn't even qualify as such. If someone says “I saw him enter the bedroom, then leave five minutes later”, that would be circumstantial evidence because you could infer that he was in there molesting her. Most of the testimony I've seen would actually qualify as 'hearsay'. “She told me that he told her such-and-such.” Here are paraphrases of a few points:


“Her second interview was consistent with the first, even though I can't prove it.”

“I know little about her, but I have no reason to believe she was lying.”

“She's had trouble in school, and it's because she's been assaulted.”

“She has headaches, and it's because she was assaulted.”

“She has neurological problems, and it's because she was assaulted.”

“She has trouble sleeping, and it's because she was assaulted.”

“It's a fact that he's grooming his daughter to assault her, too.”

These are not circumstantial, they are hearsay and opinions, some of which were proven false during the trial. Imagine someone you love being sent to prison for any amount of time on this kind of evidence. It happened regularly under Chuck Rosenthal, and even before. If we’re going off a standard of‘circumstantial evidence’, I think there’s more evidence that the Harris County D.A.’s office of the time was conducting kangaroo trials than that Carlos Coy molested a child. When the District Attorney's office bends over backwards, breaking ethical standards and occasionally even the laws to put men behind bars, we can infer that they don't give two shits about justice, they just decide who's going to prison and do whatever it takes to get them there.

It's significant because it shows his methods of operation are similar to a pedophile. Obviously he had an interest in little girls, ie impregnating a 13 year old, multiple underaged girls testifying against him, etc. Now he wants to create a dance studio for little girls? Why? Maybe so he can have an avenue of little girls streaming his way, giving him easier access.


 It wasn’t a ‘method of operation’. He didn’t have a dance studio. What other efforts had he made to bring himself into contact with 8-10 year old girls? Did he bring them in with his rap music? With the way he dressed, or with some gigantic Barbie Doll collection we haven't heard about? Did he offer to babysit other people’s kids? What 'operations' were conducted to bring him this endless string of 9 year old victims, none of whom have ever appeared, that you're using to infer proof of his guilt?

You can say that a physically mature 13 year old is exactly the same as a pre-pubescent 9 year old all you want, but that doesn't make it true. It's two very different stages of development, and all the information I can find suggests that true pedophiles like to specialize. So where are the other 9 year olds? They couldn't drum up a single one for the trial?

The underage girls that you mention testified during the punishment phase of his trial. There was no proof of their claims required, only an indictment, and those were handed out like day-old bread under Chuck Rosenthal. After the guilty verdict, these cases disappeared; none of them were ever prosecuted. From what I can tell from the Harris County District Clerk's website, one tried for a civil settlement but had to drop it after a paternity test came back negative. They had all these indictments, and they never even bothered prosecuting the one case that they could conclusively prove. 

Isn't it interesting how we've never even heard Carlos's version of events that night? If he's innocent, then what was he doing when the assault occurred? What happened in the car when he was taking her home? Why doesn't he have an alibi? Why couldn't his wife vouch for him? Those are questions he has never answered, and I doubt he will ever be able to answer them without exposing his guilt, which is why he never took the stand unlike his victim.


As far as Carlos’s own version of events that night, what happened in the car, what his wife said: I can give you my opinion on this stuff, but it’s just that; an opinion. It would have nothing to do with whether or not he received a fair trial, which is what I focus on here. Why has his side of the story not been adequately publicized? I don't know; to some extent I imagine his appeals lawyers wanted him to keep quiet until he had been through the system. Anything after that, I can't say; but neither can I take the silence as proof of guilt when I see such glaring problems in his trial.


Interestingly enough, you say “I doubt he will ever be able to answer them without exposing his guilt, which is why he never took the stand unlike his victim.” Did you know that the justice system forbids prosecutors from using a refusal to testify on your own behalf as evidence against you, precisely because there are so many reasons why a person, especially an innocent person, could hurt their case in court?

You can incriminate yourself in the eyes of a jury with your attitude, how you stand, how you talk, not just with the words you say. In a trial composed of 'he said-she-said' arguments, you're basically asking a jury “Who's more believable, this nine-year-old girl or this gangster rapper?” Allowing him on the stand, with his saggy pants and (by his own admission)bad attitude probably seemed like a risk to his defense lawyer. Just because you're innocent doesn't make you sympathetic; however, as you yourself have shown, it's human nature to think “Well, if he was innocent, he would have said something.”


Eric, it looks like you've given this a lot of thought, and I respect that. I don't expect you to share my belief in Coy's innocence. However, I hope that I can make you see that what happened to him at the hands of the State was wrong; it's happened to many men before Coy, and could happen to you or someone you love tomorrow.

So many people say "Well, I have a daughter..." and because of that, they are willing to hand their sons over to TDCJ for nothing more than "enough" circumstantial evidence, "enough" hearsay, "enough" lies and hidden evidence. That's bullshit, man. It's the behavior of a defeated people, and I just can't accept that we have any reason to be so submissive.

15 comments:

Angela NiƱo said...

As always....great post!

Anonymous said...

Think about it, in some of Carlos music he sends a positive message to all the kids growing up, why would he all of a sudden turn around and do something like that to a 9 year old girl?

Anonymous said...

INCANDESIO, WHERE CAN I GET A FREE SPM T-SHIRT? I WANT TO ROCK ONE FOR HIS B DAY

Anonymous said...

Exactly! SPM cared about kids and didn't want them suffering in their childhood.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Post! Checkmate!

Incandesio said...

Angela: Thank you! I always love reading your comments, and I appreciate the work you're doing for Coy.

Anon 12:39:

Nino has some, you can see his design and inbox him on Facebook for more info: http://www.facebook.com/SPM.Aftermath?ref=hl#!/956nino

Also try Medicine Girl's website: http://www.medicinegirlmusic.com/

I don't know of any stores that have them, but I think @DapperHustler might: https://twitter.com/DapperHustler

Incandesio said...

Anon 6:34: Thank you for reading!

Ramon Rincon said...

one day he'll be free

Eric said...

Sorry for returning so late.

First of all, how much of her testimony have you read? If you've read the transcripts then you have me at a disadvantage, because I’m going off what I’ve found online.

I haven't read the transcripts, I'm also going off what I've found online. I'm still hoping Carlos will show us all of her testimony, but I have a hunch he won't.

However, you telling me “I read her testimony and it’s strong” is not enough for me to discount news reports of her testifying, three times, that she couldn’t really remember the assault.

This is incorrect. I think what you are referring to is when the prosecutor asked her "Do you remember it clearly?", and she then said "No." There is a big difference between saying you don't remember something clearly than saying you don't really remember something at all. Do you see how you're twisting her words around to fit your agenda? Not cool.

Her testimony was obviously strong. She gave a step by step account of what happened that night. This is confirmed in multiple articles. To this day Carlos has not done that.

Repeating the basic gist of a story you’ve been told is easy, but coming up with details on the spot is hard if you didn’t actually experience it.

This is a very libelous assumption. Do you have proof that she was told to repeat a fabricated story? Of course you don't. And she didn't just repeat the basic gist of a story. She gave a step by step account of what happened that night. Everything from the dinner, to playing with Carley, to Carlos ordering them to dance, to Carlos caressing her, to the assault, and to the drive home. She described the assault in detail, testifying what he was doing with his left and right hand, the licking, and she even testified she was covered in slobber afterwards. You need to ask Carlos for the entire transcript though. That would help clear this up even more.

You go on to talk about neutral, untainted interviews. I agree, they are important, and as far as we know all of the interviews with this little girl were neutral and untainted. There is no evidence she was even asked any leading questions on the stand or in police interviews. Incandesio, it seems to me that you are assuming things that aren't even true.

The circumstantial evidence did indeed qualify as such, that's why it was allowed into Court. A child therapist who interviewed the victim is allowed to state her opinion on the matter. A police officer is allowed to do the same.

Imagine if you or someone you love was sexually assaulted, and there was no physical evidence or witnesses. You would still want the perpetrator brought to justice, right? Would it be fair for you to be ignored? If you give an accurate account of what happened that logically makes sense, I'm sure you would want to be believed too.

Eric said...

Ethical standards and laws being broken? Show me where in the Carlos Coy case where the prosecution broke a single law. Show me the underhandedness involved. You will not be able to. Do you know how I know that? Because Coy's conviction has been upheld on appeal and by the Supreme Court several times now. If something illegal happened, it would have been uncovered. It was deemed that the evidence was sufficient, and the conviction was just.

He didn't have a dance studio, but he told the victim and her family that he was going to create one. He told the victim that if she shut her mouth, he would make her a star. Now, were there other victims as young or younger than this victim? Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter though? There was an individual on the Soy Chicano forums who claimed that Coy molested his 6 year old neighbor. I will try to find the link for it since the guy sounded credible.

I'm aware that the other underaged girls testified during the punishment phase. Those cases never went trial because he was sentenced to prison for 45 years. There was no point in prosecuting him when he had already received such a long sentence. If those cases had gone to trial, he probably would have been found guilty. The victims were able to describe his friends, the motel rooms, and other details that happened. Coy's friends even admitted that he slept with underaged girls.

As far as Carlos’s own version of events that night, what happened in the car, what his wife said: I can give you my opinion on this stuff, but it’s just that; an opinion. It would have nothing to do with whether or not he received a fair trial, which is what I focus on here. Why has his side of the story not been adequately publicized? I don't know; to some extent I imagine his appeals lawyers wanted him to keep quiet until he had been through the system. Anything after that, I can't say; but neither can I take the silence as proof of guilt when I see such glaring problems in his trial.

Are you kidding me? Don't you have close connections with him? Instead of holding his feet to the fire and stroking his ego, why not ask him some hard hitting questions for once? Put him on the stand. And yes, I know the jury is not supposed to misinterpret the defendant not taking the stand, and if I was a juror, I would respect that. But the trial is over now. It's been over 10 years now, and Carlos still hasn't given us those answers. Why hasn't he given us a step by step account of what happened that night like his victim did? You keep mentioning "glaring problems", "lies", and "hidden evidence", but you really haven't provided anything substantial. You're on the wrong side, Incandesio. At the very least, ask him those questions I mentioned. It's time for him to tell us what really happened that night.

Incandesio said...

Eric:
If I'm simultaneously 'holding his feet to the fire' while 'stroking his ego', then damn, I am waaaaay more flexible than I thought I was. Check your metaphors before use.

I haven't decided if I'm going to answer this in a post yet; on the one hand, your reliance on the words of 'some guy on the internet who sounds credible' makes me laugh, but on the other, it would take a very long time to separate your incorrect statements of fact from your reasons why Coy should really be trying to convince you, personally, of his innocence.

If you don't see the problems with his trial that I do, you either a) have not read much of the blog, or b) are totally okay with how the Harris County justice system operated pre-2008.

They might not be 'glaring' to you, and that's fine. They offend me, and I'm going to do what I can to fix a little of the damage done.

Eric said...

Whatever, you know what I meant. Are you going to ask him those questions or not?

Carlos doesn't have to convince me, personally, of anything, but he's going to have to convince someone if he wants to be released from prison some time soon. If he wants people to believe he's innocent, why not answer those questions I posed? Why not give us a step by step account of what happened that night?

I haven't read everything on this blog, but so far I haven't seen any substantial errors. I've seen some petty gripes that really had no bearing on the outcome of the trial, but nothing egregious.

Incandesio, do you truly believe in his innocence, or are you a paid advocate hired by the Coy family? If you truly believe in his innocence, can you tell me why you're so sure he is innocent?

Incandesio said...

Of course I knew, but you are the one who was trying to make a point. Why should it fall on me to interpret 'what you meant'?

He will see your questions because I send him all the posts & comments. If he wants to answer them, assuming he can do so without bringing some kind of legal trouble down on himself, I'm sure he will. I don't send him questions about that night because it's not interesting to me. I formed my opinions without his input, and will continue to hold them unless I see convincing evidence to the contrary.

The fact of his guilt or innocence aside, though, since he did not testify about that night in court it has nothing to do with his trial, which is what I do find interesting. I understand that's unsatisfying to a lot of people, but you're more than welcome to start your own blog.

I'm interested to know your opinion of the 'petty gripes' of Anthony Graves, Ricardo Rachell, and George Rodriguez. Should those cases have been left alone, in your opinion? Should they have abandoned their fight for justice because they didn't have exculpatory evidence in hand until, suddenly, they did?

You asked if I'm a paid advocate, hired by the Coy family.

Nope. It would not be possible to adequately compensate me for the time and effort I put into this. I do it because I believe it's right.

Eric said...

Asking Carlos why he didn't take the stand is very relevant to his trial. How can you say it's not?

I haven't researched those cases, and I'm probably not going to. This about the Carlos Coy case. Comparing some other case to Coy's case isn't right. You're basically saying, "Well, something wrong happened in this one obscure trial, so that must mean something wrong happened in Coy's trial!" Do you see how dubious that logic is?

You didn't answer my last question. Very interesting.

Incandesio said...

One...obscure...trial.

I tell you what, Eric. If you really want to engage with me on this case, you go through the blog archives and read every single post that bears a man's name.

You don't have to research them unless you want to, just take a look at what I've already compiled and understand that, in spite of all the cases I have written about, I still have not run out of examples to write about.

Then you come talk to me about singular and obscure cases.