Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Media


Alright, here's my letter to Lisa Falkenberg, whose work has been linked to pretty frequently. She is a (recently Pulitzer-prize winning) columnist for the Houston Chronicle and has done some amazing pieces on the Grand Jury system and the Alfred Dewayne Brown case, among others. The good news is, you can send your letter via email. Please take a moment to send her a brief message explaining why you would like to see SPM receive a new trial, whatever issue you think is most significant to his case, or just how his music has affected your life. You can do that here: 


Just click the 'Email' link. Thanks again for your continued efforts!

Ma’am,
Hello, and congratulations on your recent Pulitzer award; I have followed your coverage of Alfred Dewayne Brown’s case and am glad to see you recognized for your excellent work.
I’m writing today in the hope that I can interest you in another case that, in my opinion, needs to be brought to the public’s attention. 

Carlos Coy, a local Houston rap artist, was convicted in 2002 for Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child. The heinousness of the accusations ensures that most people don’t think twice about his guilt, but there were several peculiarities on his trial that his supporters would like to see addressed.

For one, the testimony against him seems to have changed from time to time; the complainant’s initial statement to the police was not recorded, and her mother’s statement from that day was discarded. Both were redone days later. There was never any physical evidence collected, even though the supposed incident was reported the next day. Coy has pointed out that it would have been physically impossible for him to commit the attack, but this was never addressed in court.

I believe he is innocent, but I can’t prove it; I, along with his many supporters and fans, would like very much to see him receive a new trial. I started a blog at Spmaftermath.com where I, and sometimes Coy, talk about the case and try to raise awareness. I would be happy to speak with you about the case, and outline a few other issues with his trial. I have asked the blog readers to contact you and let you know why they’d like to see his case investigated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this; whatever your decision, I appreciate your work on behalf of the wrongfully convicted and I hope you continue helping those who have been abandoned by the justice system.
My contact info, etc.

No comments: