Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Manual Velez

Another pseudo-exoneration out of Texas; Manuel Velez walked out of prison last week after nine years on death row. He was convicted of murdering his girlfriend’s 11 month old son in 2005...although he was hundreds of miles away when the child received the injuries that lead to death.

The news stories revolve heavily around what appears to have been his incompetent defense; it’s repeatedly pointed out that his lawyer could have easily shown that the child was injured while Velez was out of state with just a cursory investigation. What I have yet to see is a reporter asking why, if his innocence was so easily proven, did the investigators not uncover it before the damn thing ever went to trial?

There’s no mention of some new technology that made this possible; the evidence appears to have been there all the time. Why didn’t the police find it? Why didn’t the D.A. find it? Was it unavailable, or simply ignored?

Legal representation matters, but how much damage should an attorney have to repair? Should he have to overcome a lost ‘outcry’ interview? Testimony that changes mid-trial because prosecutors didn’t verify details?




10 comments:

Unknown said...

My mom seen this on the news and she was like see they have to let go of your friend, in Spanish of course it was hard explaining to her what has transpired through out the years, we all seem to think that it's obvious Los should be home, but the law doesn't work like that. #FREEDOMX

Unknown said...

Man I'm strongly starting to think that he ain't coming home ..After that parade of people trying to support him I just don't think they care for our kind ....Houston chronicle shut them out quick ...like all that for nothing....Well god bless the mex and fam...

Incandesio said...

I can understand how you might feel that way, but how is this helpful?

Anonymous said...

he will be out before completeing 15yrs he should just do the book maybe so he can shut the system up

Unknown said...

I been looking here to see rresults in the support for him but I'm a big fan ...I'm not getting any good news here...I've read all the stories and read the cases against him but it seems you just waisting your time on him..I just feel this is a never ending case

Incandesio said...

Max, it's going to be awhile; it's already been years and I'm afraid it will be still more before we're through.

It's good news every time an innocent man walks out of prison; it's good news every time the public learns a bit more about the corruption in the system.

If I'm wasting my time, well, it's my time to waste. I could tell you that if we just send x amount of leters, or get x amount of signatures on a petition that Coy will be free, but that would be a lie. I have no way of knowing if this blog will ever have any effect on his situation.

That being said, I'm going to keep it up because in my eyes, what I'm doing is worthwhile. You don't have to agree with me on that, but I'd prefer you not complain about it here.

Anonymous said...

@max just because its taking time dosent mean anyone is wasting their time and we should all just give up.where will that get us? Its not all gonna happen in a day. It may take more years for a retrial. I understand your a fan and don't feel optimistic about it all, and thats fine, but thats your opinion and you shouldn't discourage incandesio or any other supporter from doing what their doing. All that does is aid carlos' haters and enemies who want carlos to give up.

Unknown said...

Did u read the article on the Mexican singer from the group (MAZZ ) Joe Lopez was sentenced to 32 years and there was evidence and may come out sooner then we think..that stuff just looks more convincing then spm case. ..I'm not hating it's just worth looking into

Mike from ATX said...

Yeah if Joe Lopez gets released early and there WAS DNA EVIDENCE in his case. I call BULLSHIT on Los staying locked up. Free Tha Mex!

Unknown said...

Yeap ! That's what it is bullshit..... that guy was caught red handed ..... I just wish it could be better for Los ..pero pinche system sucks...at the end it's how much money u got!!!