Updated Thursdays

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Letter to Devon Anderson 6

Time for another letter to the DA; as always please feel free to copy this one, write your own, or send one of the extremely awesome flyers in the toolbar to your right. Every letter helps.

The Honorable Devon Anderson
1201 Franklin Street, Suite 600
Houston, Texas
77002-1923 

Ma’am,

I’m writing today about the case of Carlos Coy, 908426.

The Texas Tribune recently published a fascinating article about Texas’s dubious distinction as the number 1 state for exonerations in the nation. While the plethora of releases highlights the great steps we have taken to right past wrongs, it also illustrates our deeply flawed criminal justice system.

The report quoted in the article found that the percentage of exonerations based on DNA had dropped; wrongful convictions that hinged on Brady violations, inadequate representation, and faulty forensic evidence are being questioned and, in some cases, overturned.

Ma’am, you have greater access to Coy’s case than we do, but even with the limited information I can find I am convinced that something went very wrong during the investigation into the allegations. The testimony allowed during his trial changed from day to do, from person to person.

I urge you again to investigate this trial. I believe that eventually the issues I see will be brought to light; as you have devoted your life to justice, I would love to see you leading this effort. 

Me, my address, etc.

No comments: